Announcing my Virtual School Leadership Blog
by Mark Sivy
My dissertation in now complete and will soon be published, bringing an end to a long doctoral program journey for this mid-career professional-gone-student. The rationale for taking this life-altering path was to gain a breadth and depth of knowledge, research skills, and theoretical perspective that would augment many years of practical experience in educational technology, e-learning, and educational leadership. It’s now time to regroup and put the new abilities, wisdom, and education to good use.
Did I accomplish what I expected? Yes and more! On the surface I knew I was pursuing a doctorate in educational leadership with a specialization in instructional systems technology. Done! Then there was the strengthening of self-motivation, self-esteem, self-efficacy and indomitable character that enabled the completion of years of coursework and research, all while moving into an unknown future. Made it! Studies included organizational theory, advanced instructional design, policy, learning theory, educational technology, instructional systems, leadership, research design, and more. Suited my desires and needs! Then came the freedom to explore educational innovations and technological trends in the areas of e-learning, online professional development, virtual school ecosystems, and virtual school leadership. Icing on the cake!
So, now what? Well, I’d been thinking about blogging as a way to share what I’ve learned and will yet discover. I have many curiosities, so rather than try to pack them into a single mixed-blog I decided to create the following blogs:
- Virtual School News (http://virtualschoolnews.wordpress.com/) – the latest about online education programs and virtual schools.
- Online Teaching & Learning (http://vteachingandlearning.wordpress.com/) – covering topics concerning e-learning, virtual teaching, and online instructional design.
- Virtual School Ecosystems (http://virtualschoolecosystems.wordpress.com/) – addresses the inner workings, external community, and cross-functional operation of a virtual school
- Virtual School Leadership (https://virtualschoolleadership.wordpress.com/) – information for current and future virtual school leaders and leader development programs.
- The Virtual Organization (http://thevirtualorganization.wordpress.com/) – information and perspectives on virtual enterprise operations and virtual leadership.
I’ve used a similar post to introduce all my blogs and after this point they shall each set sail in their own direction. The destinations are many, with several being charted, others pursuing intriguing trends, and some going where the winds might blow. So now onward with these journeys…
Reflection Point – I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking, And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking. ~ First stanza of Sea Fever by John Masefield